Rediscover You: 10 Benefits of Solo Travel Over 50
Imagine adventure filled with endless possibilities, where the only itinerary is the one you create. The benefits of solo travel over 50 can unlock multiple barriers enabling you to embark on extraordinary adventures with flexibility and freedom, forge meaningful connections, and perhaps reveal a person you never knew: you.
Like this? Share it with others!
Solo Travel in Your 50s and Beyond is Gaining Popularity
Of course, you know I am out there doing my solo female travel over 50. However, don’t think I am the only one.
Let’s view some of the latest travel stats:
- Kayak.com’s 2023 travel trends showed an increase in single-person flights by 36% compared to 2022;
- Skyscanner’s travel trends for 2023 notes one in four travelers are considering escaping solo this year; and
- In 2019, 40% of 55 to 64 year old’s travelled alone, and women solo travelers 65 and over increased from 4% in 2019 to 18% in 2022.
Why Partake in Single Travel over 50?
It’s not just about the solo travel stats. Yet, the stats don’t lie:
- According to Skyscanner, just over half (52%) of those surveyed said they choose to travel alone because friends and family don’t share their travel interests; and
- 51% of UK travelers say solo travel is important for their mental health and wellness.
Benefits of Solo Traveling
Why are more midlife and older travelers going it alone? Whether you’re Generation X (like me) or a baby boomer, solo travelers over 50 can unlock a world of enriching experiences, gain independence and the chance to follow their passions, and rediscover the joy of exploration. Here’s why.
1 – Traveling Solo Gives Independence and Freedom
This is number one of traveling alone benefits because, well, you just can’t beat the freedom and 45% of solo travelers agree. When you go it alone, you have the freedom to:
- Craft your own, custom itinerary;
- Make spontaneous decisions; and
- Experience a sense of liberation and self-reliance that can only come from traveling alone.
2 – Self-Discovery and Personal Growth
Tours for solo travelers over 50 are not only a great way to meet other solo travelers but also a way to expand your interests, find hidden talents or find new passions. Don’t miss the chance to:
- Take a journey of self-exploration and introspection; and
- Gain a deeper understanding of oneself, personal values and interests.
3 – Become Empowered and Self-Confident
Whether completely going alone or traveling solo with a group for a time, you will still:
- Overcome challenges and develop resilience;
- Boost self-confidence through solo problem-solving; and
- Celebrate personal achievements and accomplishments.
4 – Cultural Immersion and Connection
Single travelers over 50 can gain insights into different perspectives and ways of life that excite them by:
- Engaging in authentic cultural experiences without distractions; and
- Connecting with locals on a deeper level.
5 – Flexibility and Spontaneity
Remember that carefully curated solo travel itinerary? Yep, you can also:
- Enjoy the freedom to chuck it and change your plans as you desire;
- Seize an unexpected opportunity or connection with people you meet; and
- Embrace the joy of just going with the flow.
6 – Over 50 Rest and Relaxation
Escaping daily responsibilities and obligations to recharge is top of people’s vacation ideas. On over 50 travel you get to:
- Indulge in self-care and rejuvenation in any setting; and
- Set your own pace and prioritize relaxation.
Solo Beach Travel!
- 7 Best Solo Beach Destinations in Europe
- Beach Essentials for the Solo Traveler
- How to Spend 3 Amazing Days in Split Croatia
- What to Know When Going to the Beach Alone
- 7 Best Things to Do in 3 Days in Noosa Australia
7 – Lifelong Learning
Do you ever feel like you never get enough time to be involved with what you’re passionate about, volunteer, or share what you do know? Over 50 single travel is the perfect time to foster continuous learning by:
- Expanding your knowledge through educational travel experiences, like eco-voluntourism;
- Taking immersive classes on history and art; or,
- Experience local traditions firsthand.
8 – Make Travel Connections and Friendships
From those I met a year a go to my mates I met backpacking Europe solo in 1995, with whom I still travel with to this day, I can truly attest that the more you travel alone, the more opportunities you have to:
- Meet fellow travelers from diverse backgrounds and cultures;
- Form meaningful connections and lifelong friendships; and
- Share experiences and create lasting memories together.
9 – Traveling Single, Maximum Adaptability and Resilience
From Caribbean solo travel to Europe solo travel or other, navigating unfamiliar situations pushes your comfort zone, but also comes with:
- Enhanced problem-solving and decision-making skills;
- Ability to adapt to new environments; and
- Build resilience overcoming travel-related challenges.
Solo Travel Tips
- Expert Tips for Planning a Solo Road Trip
- 6 Tips to Save Time in Airport Lines
- Know Before You Go First Time International Travel Tips
10 – Empathy and Global Perspective
Traveling alone you get to explore the cultures and environments of your choosing allowing you to:
- Develop empathy and perspectives;
- Foster understanding and appreciation for diversity of all of earth’s inhabitants; and
- Contribute preserving a more interconnected and compassionate world.
I didn’t want to wait around to find someone to go to Alaska with me in this midlife travel, let alone get them to kayak with me. I’m thankful I traveled solo and captured this one-of-a-kind experience with nature:
How Are You Feeling About a Solo Adventure Now?
Travelling solo over 50 offers a unique opportunity for self-discovery, freedom, and personal growth.
The independence opens the doors to new adventure destinations and exploration at your own pace, while creating cherished memories.
Travel the World at 50 and Beyond
Travel over 50 alone with confidence today. CORR Travel’s curated solo itineraries, insightful travel guides, and invaluable budget travel ideas and travel tips are just begging to be used to help you unleash your solo adventure.
Solo Travel Itineraries to Get You Started
Over 50 solo travel may sound daunting, but trust me, it’s not – as long as you find the right solo travel for you.
In fact, once you start you may find you’ll never go back to needing to plan a trip with anyone ever again because you’ll know there’s possible connections that lie in await for you. The freedom is intoxicating.