The Complete Zakynthos Greece Travel Guide (2023)
This Zakynthos Travel Guide is intentionally written for the solo traveler, first time Zakynthos, older travel (I am over 50), budget and/or eco-friendly traveler in mind. Yet, anyone can use this travel guide it to plan and book a fulfilling trip to Zakynthos.
Like this? Share it with others!
- What is Zakynthos Famous For?
- Zakynthos Packing Essentials
- Best Time to Visit Zakynthos
- How to Get to Zakynthos
- Getting Around Zakynthos
- Is It Safe to Travel to Zakynthos Alone?
- Best Places to Stay in Zakynthos
- Best Things to Do in Zakynthos Greece
- Best Booking Sites for Zakynthos Travel
- How to Spend 3 Days in Zakynthos Greece
- More Travel Guides You’ll Like
More Europe Solo Travel Guides & Itineraries
- The Ultimate Santorini Greece Solo Travel Guide
- 7 Best Europe Beach Destinations for Solo Travelers
- How to Spend 3 Days in Split Croatia
- How to Do Florence in 4 Days on a Budget
- How to do a Rome in 3 Days on a Budget
- Best of Italy and Austria in 2 Weeks Solo
What is Zakynthos Famous For?
Zakynthos Packing Essentials
I’m not one to tell someone else how to pack, but there definitely some solo travel essentials I would recommend taking on your over 50 travel to Greece, like the following.
This list of travel essentials combined can make your Greece travel easier and more memorable while being friendlier to the environment.
Is Zakynthos worth visiting alone?
It’s impossible to not take beautiful photographs of the Zakynthos island beaches, rock face cliffs, water caves, panoramic views, and sunsets. Zakynthos also boasts music, festivals, hiking, wine tasting, kayaking and other water sports.
The opportunity to relax on a quiet beach with the possible encounter of swimming with sea turtles was a big draw for me. I consider Zakynthos a well-rounded Greek island with much to hold my attention. The locals are also very friendly, adding to Zante’s charm.
An upbeat or lazy getaway, it’s no wonder Zakynthos attracts tourists of all ages. You’ll be enthralled with all that Zakynthos has to offer. I think Zakynthos Greece solo travel is well worth your time.
Best Time to Visit Zakynthos
Zakynthos Weather & Costs
Is Zakynthos Expensive?
More Europe Solo Tips and Ideas
- Top 10 Tips on How to Do a Solo Beach Trip
- How to Plan Your First Solo Trip: Step 1
- How to Choose Your First Solo Trip Destination
- 10 Must Know Planning Tips for First-Time International Travel
- 6 Tips on How to Avoid Airport Lines
- How to Travel Carry-On Only
How to Get to Zakynthos
Flights to Zakynthos
Search for Cheap Flights to Zakynthos
More Greece COVID Travel Tips
Zakynthos Airport Transportation
Zakynthos Airport Car Rental
It is helpful to know how to drive a stick-shift (manual) as the typical Zakynthos car rental is a manual. However, they do also come with UBS port and GPS, which makes for easy island navigation.
Four wheel ATVs are popular on Zakynthos but are noisy and dirty, and, in my humble opinion, ruin the tranquility of the island.
Explore Zakynthos Car Rentals
Zakynthos Airport Taxi
Zakynthos Airport Transfer
Try a Welcome Pickups private transfer. Welcome Pickups works with 5-star taxi companies, based on rider reviews, providing safe airport transfer service with local, English-speaking drivers. You can book the private transfer in advance on a flat, pre-paid fee, get flight-delay monitoring, and qualify for free cancellation.
I have not yet tried Welcome Pickups, but I hear they are a convenient, reliable and safe option for private airport transfers, something solo female travelers can truly appreciate.
Zakynthos Bike & Scooter Rentals
Bike and scooter rentals in Zakynthos are also available, which could possibly save money on getting around parts of the island.
More Europe Eco Travel Tips and Ideas
- 25 Must-Have & Eco-Friendly Solo Beach Trip Essentials
- 15 Eco Long-haul Flight Essentials for Solo Travel
- Top 10 Eco-Friendly Carry On Luggage
- 10 Best Eco-Friendly Personal Item Bags for Flying
- 10 Amazing Eco-Friendly and Sustainable Swimwear Brands
- 10 Easy Ways to Be an Eco-Friendly Traveler
Zakynthos Public Bus
Ferry to Zakynthos
Getting Around Zakynthos
Is Zakynthos walkable?
Zakynthos Public Transport
Is It Safe to Travel to Zakynthos Alone?
Best Places to Stay in Zakynthos
As a first-time solo traveler to Zakynthos, I think it’s ideal to have access to the best of both worlds with activities accessible by foot including quick accessibility to the airport or port.
Therefore, I recommend staying at Laganas Beach on your Zakynthos solo travel. Laganas beach is 15 minutes to the airport and 20 minutes to Zante Town. Laganas beach is expansive with umbrella and lounge chair rentals, the Marine National Park of Zakynthos (think sea turtle spotting), and multiple bars, restaurants and clubs all accessible by foot.
Also, Laganas is serviced by the public bus and a departure point for many excursions. In short, Laganas is easy and, I believe, the best place to stay in Zakynthos for lively and relaxing first-time solo travel (see yellow area on the map below).
Budget Travel Tips and Ideas
- How to Create a Solo Travel Budget
- How To Save Money for Solo Travel
- Guide to European Budget Accommodations
Accommodations in Zakynthos
Hotels in Zakynthos Greece
Eco-Friendly Places Stay in Zakynthos in Laganas
Reserve Early for the Best Price
Best Things to Do in Zakynthos Greece
Churches & Cathedrals
- Agios Dionisios Church
- Zakynthos Metropolis Church
- Church Agios Nikolaos of Molos
- St. Markus Catholic Church
- Church of Ascension
- Ekklisia Faneromeni
Architectural Buildings & Historic Sites
Zakynthos Landmarks, Points of Interest & Monuments
Museums & Galleries
Zakynthos Beaches, Parks and View Points
Please obey the signs to respect the environment and protect your safety.
Zakynthos View Points
East Coast Beaches
- Kremidi beach
- Climati beach
- Makris Gialos beach
- Xigia Sulfur beach
- Alykanas beach
- Psarou beach
- Krioneri beach
West Coast Beaches
- Filippoi beach
- Atsiganos beach
- Navagio beach
- Porto Vromi beach
- Porto Limnionas beach
- Porto Roxa beach
- Plakaki beach
- Marathia beach
- Agios Sostis beach
- Cameo Island beach
- Laganas beach
- Kalamaki beach
- Crystal beach (and Marine National Park of Zakynthos)
- Gerakas beach
- St. Nicholas beach
- Banana beach
- Kaminia beach
Zakynthos Dining & Entertainment
- Restaurants in Zante Town
- Restaurants in Laganas
- Restaurants in Tsilivi
- Restaurants in Kalamaki
- Restaurants in Argassi
- Restaurants in Vasilikos
Don’t forget planning for sunsets while dining. The west side of the island is the best for this, of course. My recommendation for laid back sunset dining is L’ été Sunset Bar.
More Wine Travel Ideas
- 3 Perfect Days in Noosa Australia
- Best of Split Croatia Solo Travel in 3 Days
- Wachau Valley Wine Tasting Day Trip from Vienna
- Spectacular South of France in 3 Days
- Champagne Day Trip from Paris to Reims Without a Car
- My Fair Verona in 2 Days Solo on a Budget
- Fullest Siena 2 Day Budget Solo Itinerary & Guide
Zakynthos is known for having music and festivals as well, if you are not into the club scene.
Perhaps your version of nightlife is going to a wine bar or simply a nice meal at a sunset followed by observing the stars. Yes, Zakynthos has those, too.
Best Booking Sites for Zakynthos Travel
Here is a summary of the best booking sites I recommend you use to successfully book your travel to Zakynthos. I use just about all of these for most travel locations. I even gave you my suggested Zakynthos hotel.
These booking sites give you multiple travel options and awesome travel deals for all travel budgets. They will certainly help get a jump on your solo trip to Zakynthos.
For the best travel deals, always book early.
Don’t forget to use my Greece Travel Guide complete your Zakynthos travel planning and booking.
How to Spend 3 Days in Zakynthos Greece
You’re all set to get your Zakynthos solo travel on, right? Need some ideas on how to plan your days?
My 3 days in Zakynthos solo travel itinerary will get your started. It even has suggestions on how stay longer on your first-time solo travel over 50 in Zakynthos.